NCHC Forums bring together thought leaders, policymakers and stakeholders for timely public discussions about the future of America’s health system. The views expressed by the speakers are their own and do not reflect the positions of the National Coalition on Health Care or NCHC Action Fund.
Southern California Health Care Summit: Strategies for Improving the Affordability of High-Quality Care and Coverage
March 28 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Please join a distinguished group of health care experts for a conference about advances in practice and policy that can improve the affordability of health care – for patients and families, employers, public and private payers, and providers. Together, we will explore:
- How to improve the delivery, coordination, and efficiency of care for patients and populations;
- How to make markets for insurance and health care services more competitive and efficient;
- How to increase access to and lower costs for prescription drugs;
- How to provide better and more efficient care to high-need, high-cost patients; and
- How to reduce the demand for care by re-focusing on prevention and the social determinants of health.
8:30 REGISTRATION AND BREAKFAST
9:00 OPENING REMARKS AND OVERVIEW
- Liana Bailey-Crimmins, Chief Health Director, California Public Employees’ Retirement System
- John Rother, President and CEO, National Coalition on Health Care
9:15 PRESENTATIONS AND DISCUSSION
- Dana Goldman, Leonard D. Schaeffer Director’s Chair, Leonard D Schaeffer Center for Health Policy & Economics, University of Southern California; Distinguished Professor of Public Policy, Pharmacy and Economics, USC School of Pharmacy and USC Sol Price School of Public Policy
- Katherine Hayes, Director of Health Policy, Bipartisan Policy Center
- Peter Lee, Executive Director, Covered California
- Amy Nguyen Howell, Chief Medical Officer, America’s Physician Groups
10:40 EXPERT PANEL
Moderator: Jack Lewin, Chairman, National Coalition on Health Care; Principal and Founder, Lewin and Associates; and former CEO, California Medical Association and American College of Cardiology
- Kathleen Donneson, Chief of Health Plan Administration Division, California Public Employees’ Retirement System
- Susan Hogeland, Executive Vice President, California Academy of Family Physicians
- Geoffrey Joyce, Director of Health Policy, Leonard D. Schaeffer Center for Health Policy & Economics, University of Southern California; Chair of Pharmaceutical and Health Economics, USC School of Pharmacy
- Gerald Kominski, Professor of Health Policy and Management and Director of the Center for Health Policy Research, Fielding School of Public Health, University of California at Los Angeles
- Tam Ma, Legal and Policy Director, Health Access California
- Jeffrey Rideout, CEO, Integrated Healthcare Association
Space is limited. Please reserve your place today.
Leonard D. Schaeffer Center for Health Policy & Economics: The mission of the Schaeffer Center is to measurably increase value in health through evidence-based policy solutions, research and educational excellence, and private- and public-sector engagement. The Center is a unique collaboration between the Price School of Public Policy and the USC School of Pharmacy at the University of Southern California.
National Coalition on Health Care: The National Coalition on Health Care is the largest non-partisan, non-profit national alliance of organizations working together to improve the health care system and the affordability of care and coverage. Its membership includes 90 medical societies, health care provider organizations, business, unions, pension funds, faith-based associations, health plans, and consumer and patient advocacy groups. The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) is an active member and has worked closely with the Coalition to plan health care forums in California.
This event is made possible through a generous grant from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation.
If you are interested in seeing information about events held prior to 2017 please click here to access the event archives.