NCHC | News – Media Statements
Statement of Robert Ray
Former Governor of Iowa and NCHC Co-Chair
Cost of Inaction Press Briefing
National Press Club
May 19, 2003
Business Concerns on Health Care Crisis
- The problems we face in health care are of an unprecedented magnitude and neither actions to date nor proposals currently before Congress are adequate to address them.
- Solutions will require major, comprehensive reforms rather than the “patchwork” efforts of the past.
- Business cannot handle this crisis alone.
- Businesses that provide health insurance to their employees cannot sustain the current rate of increase in the cost of health insurance and the inequitable cost shifting to them which results.
- The rising costs increasingly are hurting profitability and viability and stymieing development, growth, and job creation.
- The cost of action – of implementing the reforms that will be necessary – over time is far less than the cost of inaction.
- There is strong and growing support for comprehensive health system reform among business leaders and the public.
- Business leaders in our Coalition are challenging our elected officials to embark on a search for workable solutions to the nation’s most pressing domestic problem.